ok, so at the risk of getting flamed :) ....

I'm writing about what the purpose of this list is. I've found it to
be a very good resource and fully support the idea of promoting the
understanding and use of web standards.

What I've been struggling with over the past 2/3 months though is the
increasing volume of posts concerned with what I'd call "how-to"
matters. Questions about getting something to work with CSS, or about
needing help with a web-related problem. These, and answers to them,
have far and away made up the bulk of posts to the list.

If the purpose of this list is to answer these questions, then that's
fine. But personally I'd probably unsubscribe as the volume is just
too much. There are excellent lists already out there:
css-discuss <http://www.css-discuss.org/>
webdesign-L <http://webdesign-L.com/>

that are set up for this type of help.

I don't think we should try and duplicate what they do. Rather, I
think this list is much more valuable discussing web standards,
promoting them, commenting on them, sharing resources, educating each
other etc etc

What do others think about this?

I have emailed Russ about this, and he was of the view that the list
members of the list community should set the rules for posting, topics
of discussion etc, and also that he was happy for me to post to the
list about this and get feedback etc.

I guess that my main concern is drowning under weight of emails! I'm
on the two lists mentioned above and really don't want to be on
another duplicating what they do. But I do want to be on a list
discussing web standards.

Regards

Mike Brown

SIGNIFY :: the logic behind
ph: +64 4 803-3211  |  fax: +64 4 803-3241
mob: +64 0274 885-992 | http://www.signify.co.nz
P.O. Box 24-068, Manners St, Wellington
Level 8, CMC Building, 89 Courtenay Pl, Wellington