-------Original Message-------

Date: 03/10/04 11:59:26

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at 02:21  PM, Paul Ross wrote:

> Having said that - when we get to 1,000 members I guess something will
> have to
> be done or the success of the list could implode in on itself and the
> noise
> traffic become too much to handle. I would suggest that you think of
> switching
> to a forum based website much like the excellent

As soon as lists move to forums, I stop posting, stop reading, and stop
helping, as do many others.  Web browser-based discussion lists are
difficult, slow and tedious at the best of times, which is the complete
opposite of mail and news groups, which were *designed especially* for
threading, replies and message based discussion.

Everything related to discussion happens faster and easier with a mail
client than it does with a browser.

Browser-based discussion has one positive; that being the fact that new
subscribers can read old posts and search for topics before posting.
This of course can easily be overcome with web-based archives of email
lists (which is common anyway).

---
Justin French

.