Wow
Flamed :)

When I said the worst browser.
At the moment, in my eyes - IE is the worst thing to happen to webdevelopment.

Imagine if FireFox had the margin share...

I know IE started a revolution and the browser wars...
and it won...

I admit - I use IE a lot more than anyother brower.
But thats only because 80% of my most frequented websites dont load as expected in FireFox or Netscape...

But you have to agree that at the moment, the state of IE5 and IE6 is bad...

IE5 doesnt load CSS half as well as you would hope...
IE6 is laden with bugs that have plagued webdevs, and forced hacks and work arounds for the last few years!

I wish IE would either upgrade...
or get out of the majority of marketshare...
Chris Stratford
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Http://www.neester.com

Simon Jessey wrote:
Microsoft is indeed a major contributor to the World Wide Web Consortium, but the W3C is an independent organization. Financial and technical contributions come from a wide variety of industry sources. Microsoft certainly DOESN'T call the shots at the W3C.

You should never think of IE as "the worst browser out there". Internet Explorer was one of the first web browsers to include support for Cascading Style Sheets. IE5 for the Mac has revolutionary support. IE6.0/Win is actually an excellent browser, with good support for most of CSS1 and a large proportion of CSS2. Most IE frustration is caused by the need for web designers to support earlier versions of IE (5.0 and 5.5), and the lack of updates to the existing client.

Microsoft's dominant market position creates a condition where browser enhancements and innovation are not very important. The need for native PNG alpha transparency support, full support for position:fixed, and other similar things DO frustrate designers; however, we must be thankful that IE6 is as good as it is.

Remember, it was not all that long ago that the "worst browser out there" was Netscape Navigator 4.x. For too long, web designers were forced to accomodate this truly awful abomination. Thankfully, its market share now barely registers on the browser stats charts.

Simon Jessey
mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]