Hi Simon,

I think Microsoft's overall shift in position towards the browser-ware has evolved with what projects like Mozillas XUL & Macromedia FLEX are trying to achieve in that its time to start looking at a XML based solution for building applications. The web browser to date has served its purpose but its still quite low-tech in regards to its overall capabilities in the multimedia region, that and the ability to deliver applications to remote terminals as if they were client-side.

I can see Enterprise level corporations and what not, looking to build client based applications that can be deployed on any machine at anytime, as well as not be hit with copious amounts of license issues (that and asset management is a nightmare). The current browser based applications work for now, but as most of you all would gather, the DHTML/FLASH solution has its fair share of problems (mainly time). In comes solutions like Longhorn, were by they are able to provide you with a kind of browser/api to use in order to build better client based applications?

So sooner or later, you have to understand that the current browser based solutions will eventually fade way into different technology. So in many ways its probably not a good idea to invest time and money into an aging language such as HTML/CSS?

I like how Mozilla is also embracing XUL solutions but still keeping grass roots with Web? I dunno, Microsoft has kept IE low priority probably for the above reason.

Of course these are just my whacked theories.

--

Regards,
Scott Barnes

Simon Jessey wrote:

I'm afraid you've misinterpreted what I was trying to say, Chris. What I was trying to say is this: Microsoft's dominant market position creates a condition where browser enhancements and innovation are not very important */to Microsoft./* I absolutely and completely agree that they are important to designers, developers, and users alike. At least, however, this lack of innovation and the dominant position has given designers and developers a period of stability.
Simon Jessey
mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
web : http://jessey.net/blog/
work: http://keystonewebsites.com/