On May 20, 2004, at 2:32 pm, Universal Head wrote:

It's probably something to do with that as one of the two problems is a standard horizontal list nav stuffing up. It does make the navigation virtually unusable I must admit.

But what can you do? My point to posting was, how many specific version numbers can one check in anyway? Having it work well in all those browsers and then having some obscure bug in an obscure browser make it go pear-shaped - well, it would be impossible to check it in every version number of every browser that ever lived. If only they had expiry dates!

I mean, how many people using IE5 on Mac OS9? (apart from my damn friend that is!) ;)

If the user is still on OS 9, chances are that they use IE - not much choice in browsers there (Opera 6 or older Mozilla, both run poorly).

On top of my head, based on your description:
position relative on that navigation ul (IE 5/OS 9 is more sensitive to that).
un-cleared floats
float lacking a width declaration.

Send a url for more accurate diagnosis.

I agree, it is sometimes difficult to check older browsers - I'm now lacking a convenient way to check IE 5 Win, since a neighbour had the <sarcasm>stupid idea of buying a new computer recently</sarcasm>.

Philippe

---/---
Philippe Wittenbergh
now live : <http://emps.l-c-n.com/>