From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Rimantas Liubertas
Sent: 28 May 2004 13:19
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [WSG]

---------- Original Message -------------
From: "Mike Pepper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Be practical with the constraints of our standards. Of course it is
>*possible* to build a perfect 3 column layout in CSS exactly as you want
>it -- but at what cost in terms of time and complexity. You end up catering
>for all browsers by incorporating kludges and fixes which may do the job
>legitimately but I reiterate: what's the point?

Afert doing table layouts for 8 years and knowing ins and outs of it I can
clearly see the point doing that in CSS. It is simply FASTER and more
efficient
in any possible meaning.

>We're all aware the ideal situation is the proper estrangement of form and
>content and correct semantic markup. But until we have the tools to perform
>these tasks in CSS

We have.

>and, importantly, the browsers developers incorporate
>them,

They did.

> we should serve the best development we can to our clients and our
>audience, and if this means a hybrid design which renders with stability
>then we are doing a good job.

Does it render with stability ond PDAs and mobiles?

In my opinion all this talk is just caused by "old habits die hard" and "oh,
CSS is sooo
hard to learn".

I see dozens of sites every day with absolutely primitive layout (2 columns)
built using numbers and high numbers of nested tables. People who built them
do not
know how to use tables for layout, they use CSS for some formating, but they
don't
know how to do that properly. And many of them will never learn. Cause
everyone
can do the web, right?

That enormous level of forgiveness browsers show for the
bad code helped to rise the web, but killed internal quality.

Is it not the right time to bring it back (or actualy to implement it)?
And all those "sometimes minimal tables are good for layout" talks - I am
sick of them, cause people tend to skip wirst two words.
Same goes for "almost valid" code. Either it is valid or not. One cannot be
almost pregnant.
You cannot compile progam, if source code contains syntax errors. But you
can run a website. Too bad.

Yes, I know about "real world" and "practical approach". I am not going to
have an objective look on this. We had it for too long already. And
practical approach can turn out as very unpractical in the long run.

End of the rant.

Rimantas