yes use tables, but use them wiely, use them as they were intended for ( tabular data )
I hope you're not suggesting going back to nested tables are you?

For me CSS holds to many advantages; and i feel it is just the future ( for me ne ways )to effectivley render beautiful sematic webpages.

-peace

From: "RC Pierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [WSG] Centering a liquid grid of image thumbs and captions
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 03:26:17 -0600

They haven't deprecated the table tag, yet, have they? Maybe I'm just a beginner, but I can easily
follow the difficulty folks are having with 'pure css.' It was fun for me until I saw that a
hackless site was a near impossibility, even if it's just the 3-pixel jog hack (which doesn't work
for lists).

think the jury is going to be out for a long time on this one. There really is no 'hack free' way
to deal with css and cross browser support. Sure there have been plenty of 'elegant' uses of
tableless markup, but when it takes a simple process and turns it into a morass of problems and
surprises, it really does cross the line.

Until the 'table police' show up and put on the cuffs, the best thing is do what is expedient, and
what is effective and dependable. Whether for layout or tabular data, the use of tables, and their
predictable results should not be discounted or frowned upon--especially if the table makes sense
when linearized.

What you are trying to do 'fits the bill' for a legitimate table. Until CSS reaches the point where
proper centering, width and height is possible across all browsers and all platforms without hacks
and kludges, hybrid designs should be expected, and not discouraged. As long as tables are still a
part of html, I say use them.

Roy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Faaberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 10:30 PM Subject: Re: [WSG] Centering a liquid grid of image thumbs and captions

On 6/4/04 9:10 PM "Nick Gleitzman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent this out:

> A parting thought: does a series of thumbnail/caption pairs actually qualify
> as tabular data - thus leaving me feeling better about giving up and using a
> table to lay the bloody thing out anyway?

That was my first thought when I began to read about your angst.

It's tabular data - deal with that way. Get it over with.

I'm no authority.

Rick Faaberg

Open an Online Savings Account today & collect a bonus $30*! http://clk.atdmt.com/1DG/go/hsb005000991dg/direct/01/