7 sinz wrote:

Im an 19 yer old desinger, with a particular interest in web design. For the last 8 motnhs i've been huddled up in my workspace practising my art learning the ins and out of CSS and pretty much learning the language to a T.

<snip />

Now, it took me a while to get here, but we all got to start somewhere.
But what now?

CSS is a great tool (an would be even better when supported properly), but by itself is meaningless. The real meat and potatoes of the Web is content. Therefor, understanding how to properly and semantically mark up a page is also very important.

As most sites aren't just one page, having an understanding of Information Architecture, or how to properly organize information, is very important. And as a complement, understanding usability theory and the accessibility guidelines is a must.

Since the Web is an interactive media, learning PHP and JavaScript are also important. Understanding programming theory in general, and the theories behind these two languages would be very useful. On a practical level, I wouldn't worry too much about getting deep into JavaScript. While I find it an interesting language from a Computer Science perspective, in real world situation I find I only use it lightly.

An understanding of Apache is good, but here too a deep understanding is usually not needed.

I agree with t94xr that Topstyle is an excellent choice for CSS editing, but it's also very good for XHTML. The upcoming version 4 (afaik, still in the early stages) should be even better. I also use Topstyle for PHP, although here's not where it shines. I find it's good enough to justify not using a separate editor.