Sorry if I'm a little late to the part on this one, but I think you can rest a little on CSS now -- CSS3 is soooo far away from being usable, because we're still trying to get IE6 to play well with CSS2, and we're STILL seeing really buggy browsers like IE5 all over our logs.

There's much more to web design than CSS/XHTML though -- here's some food for thought:

1. Accessibility (508, WAIG, etc) will eventually become law, if it hasn't already in your area. Most of the requirements are really easy, so there's no excuse for not getting at least 95% accessible.

2. Usability (making something *truly* intuitive to understand and interactive with) is the difference between a good interface, and a bad one. You'll spend your whole life perfecting this skill, so you might as well get started now!

3. DOM scripting can be used to *enhance* the experience for UA's with JavaScript available, while continuing to remain 100% accessible to those without.

4. Flash replacement techniques are going to be BIG. They can allow you, the designer, to meet some of the more challenging needs of your clients (like graphical headings in an obscure font) with minimal impact to your time and budget.

5. Defensive Design & User Experience Design is related to interface design, but it's pretty much it's own thing. What happens if a form is filled out incorrectly, or there's an error, or a user enters something unexpected or malicious into a form? See http://37signals.com/book/ to understand what I mean.

6. Server-side scripting. Websites need to fulfil much larger goals now than ever before, and usually this involves some sort of server-side data manipulation (everything from a contact form to a product database). Most clients will also want a CMS. You need a basic understanding of PHP or a similar server-side language to:
a) meet basic client needs
b) collaborate efficiently with programmers on larger projects and teams

7. Content is King. Writing or editing for the web is a fine art. You may think this isn't your job, but if you manage websites, then I think it is part of your huge job description. You should at least be able to edit and re-word content to suit the web, and recognise bloat.

That should keep us all occupied for about the next 400 years :)

And by the way, thanks, I think you've just inspired a new article for me to write on my site tonight :)

Justin French http://justinfrench.com/ http://indent.com.au/