I'm intitially responded to a post regarding any possible usability
reasons why you would want 'pop-ups'. I re-defined pop-ups as not
limited to web pop-ups, but any windowed information which appears on
top of content to show contextual information or prompt for user action.
Whether it is implemented with flash, javascript, browser window, or a
desktop GUI, I gave usability reasons why those paradigms are used and
the context in which they are useful. At this point any further
discussion boils down to misunderstandings. I fully understand why 95%
of the time on websites/applications new browser windows are not good I
only wanted to make an alternate point.

At any rate this is a great list and the posts here are very informative
to read.

Cheers!

Ryan Nichols
Graphic Design / Web Development