"In most of the usability testing I've conducted or been involved in,
participants have stated that they do not like pop up windows." - Susan

I don't doubt that! Let's replace our word of 'pop-up' (which many web
surfers would shudder at the thought of :) and replace it with
'information I can get / action I can do, without leaving the page'.
That's what will pass.

Here, I'll bring in the help of an expert. Excellent book, 'The Design
of Sites' by Douglas Duyne, James Landay, and Jason Hong. Quote is from
the section on Process Funnels. "Sometimes customers need additional
information that you have not provided on a page, such as extra help or
product details. Provide a link to a pop-up window containing clean
product details, context sensitive help, or information from the
frequently asked questions to make the extra information less intrusive.
Your challenge is to implement this extra content without detracting
from the main purpose."

"not really helpful stuff like preventing me from overwriting a file in
a save dialog. Also, with desktop applications you usually cannot
proceed with a task until you have completed whatever subtask a dialog
(pop-up) requires, which is not the case with pop-ups in a web browser."
- Terrance

Ah.. Exactly, that's a situation which happens many many times in web
applications. You are thinking of traditional pop-ups.

"But wait theres more? At what point in making a sale do you want to
interrupt that process? If it's related, and important enough to the
checkout process, then include it inline." - Terrence

Your forgetting, nothing you do inline will command as much attention as
info displayed on top of the page content. It attracts our attention
visually and will produce quicker and more accurate responses from
users. Disturbing the page layout to show complex information will
confuse the user and you risk them not even noticing the change.

The key is a process funnel. The user is attempting to accomplish a
clearly defined task. They want to accomplish it, they've 'signed up' to
accomplish it. THAT's where the pop-up window (DHTML or Browser) is
useful. Forcing them onto another page will lose sales and disorient the
user. Imagine filling out a complex form and you click on a link called
"need help?" and you are whisked away to an entirely different page deep
in the help section? User choice? The user doesn't know WHAT'S going to
happen before clicking, and in this case, disorientation shouldn't be a
choice. Again, I have to say in a shopping cart scenario, you will lose
sales when you remove people from a process funnel in the middle of the
transaction. You and I know how to right-click and open in a tab...but
most people do not.  Also keep in mind in the same scenarios, it may not
be a link. You might want to show a window with a critical error alert,
something that must be dealt with by the user before continuing. Pop-up
windows command more attention than anything you can do on the page
itself. (Think warning dialog boxes in windows)

I think we're all deeply scarred and mentally distraught from annoying
pop-up ads...I know I am! But let's not throw the baby out with the bath
water.

At any rate, back to semantics...I'd personally love to see the addition
of link types for anchors in future versions.

Cheers!

Ryan Nichols

Ryan Nichols
Graphic Design / Web Development