Hey Michael,
Looks great!

One thing I would say is that the menu structure may be confusing - maybe not.
But whenever the menu drops down - eg: for ABOUT.
I didnt think there would or should be differnt links for the two menu items called about...

it looks like this:

ABOUT
ABOUT
GEEKY STUFF
STATION NEWS

The top level about, and the 2nd level About are both different links...
Maybe that just confused me.

also.
is this you?

MUSIC FROM FOGGY HOLLOW <http://hawkradio.org.au/bluegrass/>
with
Mike Kear
Bluegrass, Newgrass & Acoustic Country

??

Michael Kear wrote:

You might recall that some time ago I offered the opportunity to starting-designers to have a go at designing a radio station web site. I said there was no money involved but we’d try to pay with advertising and promotion etc for the designer. Well here’s progress on what’s happened.

Through my own lack of organisation I was unable to get our end sorted out to brief a designer, so I had to design it all myself. I’m still not 100% happy with the way it looks, and I’d still welcome input from designers, on the same basis – perhaps replace the existing style sheets with a better design from an aesthetic standpoint if anyone wants to do it, but the site is in a whole ‘nother league than the one that preceeded it and which I inherited two years ago.

The url is http://hawkradio.org.au <http://hawkradio.org.au/> and it’s a fully dynamic site. The server is in the Midwest of the USA, but the site knows the time of day in Windsor, and can show the current programme details and what’s on today. We’re going to have a lot more information about the shows. When I have finished removing the last few bugs from the content management system, I’m going to allow some shows to have their own sub-site so they can post playlists, information, recipes, garden notes, sports scores or whatever is appropriate to their shows, and profiles of the presenters. They’ll all be maintained by the djs themselves without needing input from me, although some will require approval from the programme management before their work goes live.

I’m adding a news feed from the Sydney Morning Herald in a few days, and a calendar of community events which will be input by the local Rotary, Lions, Chamber of commerce and other community groups. This will be used for input to the “what’s on around the Hawkesbury” page as well as getting more listener involvement.

Also to come is a photo gallery – pictures of the station out and about around the Hawkesbury, and our happy smiling faces of listeners. Believe it or not there are lots and LOTS of them, and when we go to local events nearly every weekend, we have hundreds of people coming over and telling us they listen and like us better than the big city commercial stations. They say we play more varied material and they get bored with the same 40 songs day after day on the commercial stations.

We’re working up packages for advertising too. We’re restricted by our licence to carrying a maximum of 4 minutes of ads per hour, so we can add value to the ad packages by putting banners, links, spots and other messages on our web site which isn’t restricted at all.

The site’s built to XHTML1.0 transitional, mostly because the WYSIWYG editor doesn’t produce valid XHTML strict, and the programme guide page is a long way from valid. But it’s a tricky bit of code and I’m too busy right now to rebuild it. But it’s on the list.

I’d love to know what you all think. I think it’s not too bad for a colour-challenged code monkey

Cheers

Mike Kear

AFP Webworks

Windsor, NSW, Australia

http://afpwebworks.com

.com, .net, .org etc domains start at A$20/year

--
Chris Stratford