This seems a silly question but it bounces about enough that whilst discussing it with a client I thought I'd put it to the list.

During development when referring to HTML (and perhaps CSS) with a client do you use the term "code" or the more pedantically correct, though perhaps less recognised, term "markup" ?

I'm asking as I often wonder which one the client grasps first.

From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing:

code:
        <software> Instructions for a computer in some programming
        language, often machine language.  The word "code" is often
        used to distinguish instructions from data (e.g. "The code
        is marked 'read-only'") whereas "software" is used in
        contrast with "hardware" and may consist of more than just
        code.

markup
        <text> In computerised document preparation, a method of
        adding information to the text indicating the logical
        components of a document, or instructions for layout of the
        text on the page or other information which can be interpreted
        by some automatic system.

        For example, the source of this dictionary is marked up by
        enclosing cross-references in curly braces which are
        significant to the World-Wide Web server software.

Nick