> It is that sense of seeing art at the cutting-edge of science that makes us
> go "wow".

Good point John, I can't argue with that :) The backgrounds are great,
the css is cutting edge. That doesn't make it a great design though.

> Could the people who think it is so non-wow, please explain to us in a few
> simple words, how it is done? Then I am going to do something similar by
> afternoon-tea time....

I haven't looked at the css, but if I was trying to achieve this it
would be setup something like:
diver : top layer (z-index), fixed positioning, 24-bit png.
gradient: second layer, attached to top, 24-bit png.
light: bottom layer, fixed positioning, 24-bit png.

Everything else would be animated gifs on :hover states, two reasons
the effect doesn't work in IE.
The ocen floor is either a photo or render, treasure chest added after
the fact. Crab is animated gif, drawn over the sand but cut back to
binary transparency.

That said, the conception of such a technique is usually more work
than the application, and this technique is pretty damn slick. What I
should have said is that while the 'diver trick' is cool, I don't rate
it amongst my favourite zen entries.

Andrew.