On Sun,  6 Feb 2005 23:19:02 +0000, Ian Fenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Had I been doing it with HTML Transitional or similar, I would have displayed a second page of results as follows:

<li>Second...</li>
</ol>

Do you have any suggestions as to how I could achieve a similar effect with XHTML Strict?

I suggest to ignore specs and continue using start attribute, because -- as you see -- specs are wrong. Start belongs to content, and not (only) presentation.

You may create your own DTD if you care about validation.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński