> Something which no one has mentioned is the possible accessibility
> benefits of the extra spacing following the period. My thoughts are that
> the extra spacing will more easily distinguish the sentence for all, but
> particularly those with cognitive disabilities
>
> Unfortunately, I can't find any data to back me up on this. I know one
> person with extreme dyslexia who curses the day that folks turned their
> backs on the double-spacing. He says it slows him down dramatically
>
> Anyone have on thoughts on the accessibility of this issue?

Theoretically, the extra space could help users with cognitive impairment
and learning difficulties recognise the end of a sentence more easily, which
would be beneficial. The problems would be 1) testing this theory and 2) if
it was found to be of benefit to specific groups of users, and you thought
it was important on a particular site, how to achieve it without polluting
to code/content. On a small site you could imagine simple global replacement
of content, but the maintenance would become a pain. On a dynamic site it
would be an even bigger issue.

I haven't had a chance to read it fully, but there is a very detailed
article on dyslexia here:
http://old.techdis.ac.uk/seven/papers/dyslexia.html

Russ