I think this is an interesting point.  We moved to using CSS based
layouts almost 2 years ago now.  At first it was a struggle to get the
designers to break out of using spacer GIFs and tables, 6 months in and
they couldn't face going back to work on table based sites.

We have found that the use of CSS layouts means we can apply designs in
much less time than we were able to with table based ones. We are able
to produce a better product in less time, changes to the design are much
easier, clients and designers are happier :)

In terms of using it as a selling point, you are right, most clients
don't care (or more likely are not aware of the benefits). Perhaps you
should look on it as client education as opposed to a selling point?

Cheers
Bruce

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 15:39, tee wrote:
> Hi, I'd been doing web design on the side since last year. I believe in web
> standards, but I am not sure about potential clients who want to pay me do
> the job will believe it. For us who believed in web standards, it all sounds
> very beautiful and convincing, but for companies who provides services, they
> want web sites, they want their web sites looks nice and professional  and
> they want it to be affordable. They simply want to know how much it will
> cost right, nothing behind the scene will interest them.
>
> What is the incentive for us to tell potential clients that web standards is
> important and how many people in this group successfully using web standards
> as selling point for their web design service. Do you increase your ballpark
> as a result?
>
> In my web design site, I do brag about web standards and that I care, but
> when I talk to potential clients (so far only two), I didn't even mention
> it; they didn't ask either even though they have visited my site. To me, web
> standards is something I believe in, but I do not see any benefit when
> approaching potential clients.
>

> tee

Bruce Morrison
designIT http://www.designit.com.au