This thread has got me thinking. If verbs are not the go in link text, where does that leave us with 'skip to' links at the beginning of a page? Should we just use 'main content' or 'navigation/menu'?

Also, Richard. The text sounds more passive because I've put it in the passive voice. You can nominalise [1] most phrases to put them into the passive, however, this does change the emphasis, as you mentioned. If we want links to be incorporated into the flow of the language and make sense out of context then should we be constrained to a particular style of writing to achieve this?

Still open minded about this, just curious what others are thinking.

Cheers,

Damian

[1] http://unilearning.uow.edu.au/academic/3b.html

Hey Damian,

Very valid point! It's not too difficult to turn a verb into an adjective.
Somehow, though, reading your example I get the feeling that it's a very passive voice to read in.
It almost *feels* like:

   Here's the Registration Form (which by the way you can also fill in).

What else would you do with an online form?
You could print it, but again 'print' (and 'register') seem to be different verbs to 'complete' and 'fill in'.
They sound like context-specific Tasks rather than simply actions.
In which case, I'd probably want to use the verb as the link text - it seems more forceful (at least from a marketing perspective) and there's absolutely no confusion as to what you are being asked to do:

Register! Don't just look at the registration form and decide whether or not to.

This is a question of usability, rather than accessibility.

R  :o)

--
Damian Sweeney
Learning Skills Adviser (online)

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email or by phoning (03) 8344 9370.