If you keep the frames-based layout and go with a frameset DTD for the
frameset and a Strict DTD for the framed documents, you'll run into these
problems:
1. IE will create an horizontal scrollbar in your top frame. The fix for
this is to use "scrolling=yes" (I know it's weird).
2. To use "target" with a Strict DTD, you'll have to extend the DTD or the
markup will not validate, but doing so - in my experience - will make your
CSS fails validation (I know it's weird).
You could use the DOM to plug the target attribute where needed, but I don't
think you want your navigation to rely on JS. You could also try  "base
target=" if all your anchors target the same frame (I guess that would pass
the Validator).

I would dump the frameset and go with flat pages. That would have the other
advantage of removing one of the 2 vertical scrollbars.

Regards,
Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com