Hi Thierry, thank you very mutch!

I still dont know how to "extend the DTD", but you are giving me very good reasons not even to try it. (I hate when things get "weird" :) ).
That's quite helpfull! There is always a good reason why experienced designers do not use some structures, I think I'll stick to the safe frameset doctype.

Now about dumping the frameset, it would be nice, scripting cross frames is far more complex than within one document and would save me a lot of work. It would also permit me to give more flexibility to the layout witch is important to me (as long as at 1024x768px in default text size things look the same they wouldn't even notice it) and frames will keep me from doing that.

On the other hand, the top frame has actual content, heavy one, that will change from time to time, but that will stand on top of every page at the site.

If I made it a single page, the content of the top frame would  be reloaded on every page. And the company loves nice heavy blinking banners. To avoid loading heavy banners every time I would have to make them backgrounds on the css (to keep it cached). That would subvert the function of the css files, not to mention I would need to update the css to change the pages content.
Also users are used to that vertical scrollbar (however hugly it may look), they do not need to scroll all the way up a long page to get to the seach form or the navigation bar.
So it makes all the sense to keep the frames system: it saves bandwith and time, and keeps the navigation experience of the users untouched.

Although I do not appreciate frames (probably for not being used to code with them) I must agree with the company, on that they should stay.

Thank you, best regards,

Isabel Santos