> Townson, Chris

> This would be due to the point about indexicality I mentioned.

This would be the point where I'd say the whole discussion on semantics
risks disappearing up it own behind...no offense.
"You want to do web design, eh? Well, get onto the semiotics and linguistics
course for the next 10 years and then we'll talk about it..."

> Ideally, a heading is something which describes and
> encapsulates that which
> comes thereafter. Because an logo is indexical, it alone
> (usually) describes
> nothing - it requires a context for that.

I'd say it defines that what follows belongs to the entity identified
by said logo...but I think we may end up in rather philosophical
discussions here and lose touch with reality ;)

> However, in response to that, I would ask:
> Is an image tag the correct way (semantically) to mark-up that text?

A company's identity is more than just its name. The logo, the typeface used,
the colours, all play an integral part, imho. Hence an image seems to me
the best compromise (until we get sophisticated mechanisms like SVG to work
consistently in all browsers).

> I can see your point and
> wouldn't want
> to be total pedant on the issue :D

Still good to have a "principled" discussion though...makes our
lives as standardistas soo much more mysterious to the outside world ;)

Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk
http://webstandards.org/