Thank you: this is a great improvement, but not quite there. I've
added the  extra declaration as shown, but...

This addtion only hovers the text component, not the entire span area.
A table cell would go to the ruled edges - it's only a few pixels, I
know, but it's important. (and I've not solved the white text on
hover, either!).