I take it, therefore, that none of your sites use style sheets at all (unnecessary), they all use a serif font for body content(easier to read long para's when in serifs) and that images are only used for visualization aids?

Very little of what we do is determined by necessity, otherwise we would still all be farmers. The situation I had where I wanted to control column heights was when designing a fluid layout with image based borders and corners. The only way that I could do it (because of this problem) was to make one border non-image based (ie a 1px border).

Stephen