I'm one of these site owners :)

I can explain it though. Most sites that bear these buttons were actually compliant when they were launched / created. However in the real world this sometimes slightly deteriorates when stuff is added / removed / modified. It has nothing to do with 'having no clue what I'm doing' and everything with having more inportant things on my mind than making sure everything complies 'to the letter of the law'. I'm getting to the point where I feel minor validation errors that don't cause any of the major browsers to break the layout aren't really that important to spend so much attention on.

In 1 or 2 months I'll be launching a redesign and the site will probably comply again. After that the same thing will probably happen again. Such is life. It doesn't have much to do with incompetence or lack of respect for standards. It's a focus thing really.

Just my five cents!

Marco

Nic wrote:
I'd be interested to know what this group's take is on a practice I seem to
find more and more.

You go to a site, and it proudly claims xhtml/css/wai compliance.  You do a
quick check, and discover that the code wouldn't pass xhtml 1.0 compliance,
let alone the 1.1 strict they claim!  Their css is a mess.  And as far as
WAI compliance, the number of sites claiming AAA that don't even meet A
level is mind boggling.  Then, there are those sites who actually
technically meet some level of WCAG, but in such a way the site is in fact
unusable...

This upsets me on several levels.  It can only impact negatively on those of
us who actually do make sites that comply.  If non-compliant sites claim
compliance, it dilutes the effect of claiming compliance for those who do
comply.  But it also reflects on our competence.  If so many people who
claim compliance have apparently not a clue of what they are doing, how can
a potential client be sure that the next guy (you, me) claiming they know
what they are doing actually does?

Perhaps this is a pointless rant, but it's seriously getting under my skin
this week.

Thanks for any feedback on this :)

Nic