Designer wrote:
Most of the methods (non-tables) for centering a div vertically  (and
horizontally) suffer from the same problem: they use the div height to attach a top margin and use percentages. The result is that, when the window size gets to be smaller than the div size, the top of the content can't be seen and it won't scroll.

Not a problem...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/test_07_3810.html>
...in decent browsers...

So, it seemed to me, it must be simple to 'get' the viewport size (javascript, DOM?), subtract the div height, then apply a top margin in CSS with php. I'd rather do it all in php to avoid folk without js, but that seems improbable)

...but if you can find ways to make IE behave, then nothing would be
better than that. Make sure you only target IE though :-)

Some info...
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/om/measuring.asp>
<http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/javascript/browserwindow>
...and good luck ;-)