On 10 May 2007, at 16:10:55, Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
On the other hand, screen-readers are generally configured by default to always read out the expansion of text marked up as an abbreviation (that is, the contents of the title attribute), so using <abbr> (or the non-standard <acronym>) repeatedly will force users of such assistive technologies to listen to the full version on every occurrence in the page. From what I've heard, this gets irritating pretty quickly, and could be seen as diminishing the accessibility of the page.

Apologies, when I said "non-standard <acronym>", I really meant something to the effect of "supported on IE 6", which <abbr> isn't. Not sure how my fingers twisted what my brain was saying - maybe I just think "non-standard" every time I think of IE ;-)

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons