Well ...

(a) Those are guidelines which are designed (among other things) to work
around limitations in user agents

And

(b) It doesn't say "in plain text", and the example given uses the title
attribute:

   <P>Welcome to the <ACRONYM title="World Wide Web">WWW</ACRONYM>!

(and its another initilism mislabelled as an acronym)

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/