Using the   for layout is the worst of the ideas and should not be considered for the final form.

Tables, while frowned upon / argued over / etc, are still the most reliable way to layout COMPLEX forms, for simple forms you don't need tables at all. Do a search for accessible CSS form layouts.

The DL is an okay idea, but with the markup you'll end up adding, you're better off using this style structure:

<form>
<fieldset>
<legend>My Legend</legend>
<label>My Label</label>
<input type="my_input" value="my text" />
</fieldset>
</form>

There's a ton of other ways to go about this too in regards to using/not using the div, nesting the input inside the label, etc.

*Joseph R. B. Taylor*
Sites by Joe, LLC
/Custom Web Design & Development/
Phone: (609) 335-3076
www.sitesbyjoe.com <http://www.sitesbyjoe.com>

Benedict Wyss wrote:
Hi all,

I am having a discussion with colleagues here at work (won't mention our site as it stinks) about the best way forward for form layouts.

I have one person saying he will continue to use tables till otherwise informed.

I have another who uses none of the above, which you can imaging is not that good to look at with everything butting up against each other. His other suggestion was to add &nbsp's to move things about.........

I like to use the definition list with Labels.

Now I know the dl I am using is not being used exactly as it was originally used (good point), but I say it is 100 times better than tables.

Can I get a WSG response on the best format to layout a form.

Cheers,

Ben