JAWS reads legends in 'virtual cursor mode' and in 'forms mode' but it reads
them differently in the two modes.

In 'virtual cursor mode', which is the normal mode of operation for websites
and PDFs, it will simply read the legend when it reaches that element. It
does not announce the element type so it is indistinguishable from paragraph
text.

In 'forms mode' the legend is read before the label for each form control in
the fieldset. If there are no form controls in the fieldset it will not get
read at all.

JAWS also does not handle definition lists at all well, which is one reason
I oppose their use unless there is a very good reason for using them.
Another reason is that although JAWS announces the start of a definition
list, I have yet to meet a user who knows what one is.

Unfortunately even the most recent version of JAWS does not announce the
start of a new list item (i.e. a <dt> element), whereas it does announce
each <li> in ordered or unordered lists. Worse still, it does not tell the
user how many <dd> elements there are for each list item. The result is that
the user cannot make any sense of the content because it is simply one piece
of content after another with no indication of the structure.

By contrast, a data table containing the same data is far easier to
understand and to navigate because JAWS can read the row and column headers
for a cell and can navigate both vertically and horizontally, which it
cannot do with a definition list.

>From memory, Lucien's example would be read as:

staff details
Definition list of two items
email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone
12345678

That is actually quite understandable even though JAWS cannot use any of the
semantic structure that has been provided, but that may not be the case
depending on the content.

Of course one could argue that JAWS should handle definition lists better,
and I would agree. I still say that the use of the fieldset it entirely
wrong and that apart from the visual effect it provides no semantic value to
any user agent.

Steve