Roberto Gorjão wrote:
Well, I have quicktime and iTunes. I don't have Swift. I still got all the reported problems in my Win XP SP2: no fonts and crashing bug button. And no, deleting the two .ttf files didn't solve it.

I think I've found most of the solution now, following reading this blog post:

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/06/safari-3-is-half-baked-web-browser-from.html

The problem appears to be the Font.plist file which is created as part of the user profile. I replaced mine with a copy from a colleague's machine (where it was working perfectly), copied the Lucida fonts back in, and now the browser chrome is rendering as expected. Still get some issues with particular fonts on web pages, but the browser chrome now looks right.

I suspect the issue might be because I have a big pile of extra fonts installed on my machine over and above the standard ones shipped with Windows, or because one of those fonts is upsetting Safari, because an install I did on a VMWare machine worked fine.

Rob