Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> I've done usability tests where users *preferred* off-site links to
> open in another window.

I find that surprising.  I am sure you are right, however, that it is all
about context.  Certainly if you sat down in a room full of 20- to
25-year-olds today you would not find that the majority of those users
*preferred* off-site links spawning new windows.  My impression is that the
more a user knows about how to use their web browser, the less they like
windows or tabs opening up without their consent.  As more and more people
become better and better with their web browsers, fewer and fewer will want
off-site links to open up in new windows or tabs.

This almost seems like common sense to me now.  Should I be rethinking this?
Aren't there any current studies that demonstrate this?

Phil.