pdfs are not going to go away (and docs are not the answer)

in Nielsons article (who is over rated and take his opinion with a
grain of salt) he says pdfs are for print and I agree but for most
Government websites they need these pdfs that we all hate and as I said
in an earlier email html versions is not always an option.

So the question remains how do we make a linked pdf presented and
operational the best??

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20/07/2007 10:08:52 am >>>
On 2007/07/19 11:23 (GMT+1000) Webb, KerryA apparently typed:

> Jermayn wrote:

>> I work at one of the those government places that has those
horrible
>> pdfs scattered through out all their horrible pages. I couldnt
agree
>> more.

> And I work with people who build such sites, and I don't have a
problem
> with PDFs per se.

As a rule, I do. Most are apparently made by and for the people who
design
inaccessible mousetype web sites, not for normal or low vision web
users.

> If that's an efficient and effective way to publish a document, let
them

Efficient and effective only from a publisher's perspective, not from
user's perspective. Pdfs are for printing. Ecologically aware people
are not
interested in killing trees just to get a little "freely available"
information.

> do it - providing the PDF is properly marked up.

It's rare that pdfs are published to be univerally accessible, so the
end
result is that as a group, pdfs are a scourge. Nielsen is too polite
about
it: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html
--
"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,
rebuking, correcting, and training in righteoousness."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

The above message has been scanned and meets the Insurance Commission
of Western Australia's Email security requirements for inbound
transmission.

********************************************************************************************************************************
The above message has been scanned and meets the Insurance Commission of
Western Australia's Email security policy requirements for outbound
transmission.

This email (facsimile) and any attachments may be confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (facsimile) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email (facsimile) in error please contact
the Insurance Commission.

Web: www.icwa.wa.gov.au
Phone: +61 08 9264 3333