I think of your 5 steps, number one is the most practable...

the others are good in a 'perfect' world but this aint and if most
other gov sites are like mine (new design coming tom), they will not
happen.

All of my pdfs are direct from the different areas and so I dont create
the pdfs and we dont get the option of producing a html/ doc version

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20/07/2007 10:51:33 am >>>
I, for one am enjoying this discussion :)

My 2c:

1) Let the user know it's a PDF *and* what size the PDF is, eg by
putting something like (12Kb PDF) beside the link. I'm on dial up at
home and it grates my backside when sites don't let me know how big the
file is....

2) If you can, use Acrobat Pro to autotag your PDF's. It's far from
perfect but it's a start

3) Never ever assume a tagged PDF is 'screen reader friendly'. A
partially sighted woman gave a (fantastic) presentation at a conference
I attended recently where she 'showed' a screen reader opening a PDF and
also showed how Acrobat rendered the doc in ZoomText. It was absolutely
illegible and the screen reader couldn't make head or tail of it.

4) Push back on your departments to change the workflow so you get raw
content and (in a perfect world) time to mark it up.

5) Get a search tool that indexes the raw text of PDF content and lets
you point users to the text version if they want it. Again, not perfect
but better than nothing.

Like most government employees, I've got a lot of work to do in this
area, but it really does need to be done :)

Paul

********************************************************************************************************************************
The above message has been scanned and meets the Insurance Commission of
Western Australia's Email security policy requirements for outbound
transmission.

This email (facsimile) and any attachments may be confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (facsimile) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email (facsimile) in error please contact
the Insurance Commission.

Web: www.icwa.wa.gov.au
Phone: +61 08 9264 3333