Steve,

The other aspect of XHTML Strict DTD, the client won't even know unless I take my time to explain everything but this target stuff is something they will notice if they ask me to open certain links in new window. That's why I need arguments against this. :)

XHTML Strict and 1.1 has no target attribute, I do not know why the HTML 5 is keeping it?