On Tue, July 24, 2007 6:19 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sorry but I don't agree...to a point. As a web designer and user myself, I
> prefer opening another window IF it is to a different website that I am
> referring them to. That way the customer doesn't go wondering thru the
> other website and forget to come back to mine. Mine will always be open in
> the background to remind them (kind of like I'm the one they came to the
> dance with).

If yours is the site they want, they will come back by using the back
button. If they are going somewhere else never to return, there's every
likelihood it is because your site was not precisely what they were
looking for. Be glad you were able to help by offering them a useful link,
and leave them to go their own way.

There has never been one scrap of research published demonstrating any
usability or business benefit from opening links in a new window "to stop
users wandering away from our site". However there has been plenty of
uasability research showing that many people find it irritating and/or
confusing, and that it is a hindrance for those using assistive
technologies such as screen readers, or those who have mild cognitive
impairment (such as an absent-minded elderly person).

If there is any published research demonstrating a justifiable business
case for irritating, confusing and hindering your customers as they go
about their day, I would be fascinated to see it. But consider how
annoying it is to be followed about by a pushy salesperson, and ask
yourself if you are right to believe that acting in such a manner towards
your visitors is an acceptable thing to do.

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons