Although late to this discussion I too am enjoying it.

I work for a NZ Govt Agency and just recently our request for an additional
person has been granted and we now have a person who will work with the
publishers of all legislative documents and magazines that our organisation
produces to convert them into standards compliant HTML. [you could have
knocked me over with a feather when we got the go ahead!]

It has taken some time and a number of knock backs but we got there.  ALL
PDF documents made available to the public will be marked up into HTML and
offered as the primary document with a link to the pdf for printing.

We are in the early stages of this and it's a big job as we have heaps of
documents but in the end I think it is important to be a good net citizen.

Presentations from people with disabilities have been real eye-openers and I
try to take as many of our team along as I can so that they can learn.

Right now I mark up links to pdf files as an unordered list and style it
with a class that uses a pdf icon in place of the bullet.

- document name [pdf - file size and number of pages]

We also offer to mail the document out in hard copy on request and provide a
telephone number for any requests for information.

Someone last year coined the term 'creatures from the black lagoon' when
refering to pdf files.  They were partially sighted and the pdf file was
incomprehensible as they tried to navigate through it on zoom.