"can anybody help me understand where the idea that accessibility costs
money comes from?"

It certainly can do depending on the content of your site and the target
audience. I would concede that it probably doesn't cost more to produce a
standards-compliant static website (i.e. has semantic structure and is valid
HTML and CSS) but that is only the first step in making a website
accessible.

We've discussed many examples here, and I encounter them every day in our
work. Obvious ones are the provision of captions, transcripts and audio
descriptions for multimedia; that does not come cheap.

It is not trivial to accommodate text resizing and screen widths ranging
from less than 800px wide to upwards of 1600px while maintaining an
acceptable layout. Especially so if someone else told you what the layout
has to be.

Converting artwork into accessible code takes more time than slicing and
dicing a PhotoShop image. Making interactive content accessible (such as
discovery-based e-learning applications) can be seriously challenging.

And then there's the cost of maintaining the accessibility of a site on an
ongoing basis when most CMSs don't enforce the creation of accessible
content. Big sites might have many dozens of content authors, none of whom
gives a monkeys about accessibility so you need periodic or ongoing testing
and repair to prevent the accessibility from degrading.

So yes, it often does cost more. These costs may well be offset to some
extent by savings and other kinds of benefits but we need to be able to
quantify this before we can make sweeping statements that it doesn't cost
any more.

Steve