On Oct 4, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Michael MD wrote:
Opening the door to yet more lawsuits...

In 2000, Bruce Maguire's accessibility complaint against the Olympics.com website was upheld. Did this lead to a spate of "frivolous", "discriminatory" lawsuits in Australia? As none of the advocates of business' "freedom" to discriminate in any way they choose has brought such a flood to our attention, I would assume that there have in fact been few or no accessibility suits filed. On the other hand the existence of WSG is surely a measure of how seriously the issue of accessibility is now taken in the Australian developer community...

And, please, arguing that legislating that business accept the responsibility to provide accessibility (or be legally accountable in general) is unacceptable unless "they are in receipt of government monies" is laughable - every member of a society is the recipient of all manner of benefits, the price we pay to enjoy the benefits is to accept the society's behavioral norms, which are commonly codified in law.

Andrew