Why not simply display the email address as a simple mailto only when the
browser is a screen reader?

If you mean by CSS (display: none -- or similar -- for aural media
types), I'm not sure that would work because AFAIk spambots just look
through the source code of the page for mailto links. The fact that the
text is hidden when it gets to the browser is neither here nor there, surely?

most spambots don't look at css or javascript

If you are talking about actually hiding markup from certain agent
types, I'd certainly like to know your method.

Is there anything in agent strings (or any other header sent to the server) for any commonly used screenreaders?
I'd love to know!