Hi Mike,

I was considering using <span>'s instead of <div>'s for my example but
was a little torn between the two as I'd usually use <span>'s for
their inline purpose in a block of text or for styling something
within an inline element (when obviously a <div> would be invalid).

I suppose in either case it's using the tag for something that it
wasn't really meant for and as someone mentioned earlier is being
misused slightly due to lack of a better alternative using CSS2.1

Your example does highlight the fact that I could probably do away
with the topleft div in any case though as this could be applied to
container <div> :o)

Thanks
Dave

http://www.dave-woods.co.uk