Andrew,

I don't know about cultural sensitivities; best that you start talking
to Islamic people and your specific audience as early as possible! I've
got a couple of Islamic friends and they've never mentioned any
deep-seated resentment of the internet, except a general awareness of
how american and anglo it can be. I've worked with Islamic people on
some simple community work, and found a huge range of cultural
preferences concerning formality of dress and speech, etc. I wouldn't
assume anything about cultural preferences without asking first.

I can say that creating a controlled vocabularly is important: you'll
need to determine the precise mapping between various labels and
instructions before you can design and develop a navigation structure
and labels on controls etc. Whilst you can source content from different
database tables specific to the language, sourcing the labels for
controls and navigation may come from a different part of the
application. You'll also have to closely control the character encoding
and language for both browser display and for search engines.

In my experience, multilingual websites involve: sub-directories for
images and css for different languages, different records for langauge
specific content, look-up tables for cross-language searching, language
and geo-targeting for active detection of language preference, a source
for navigation and control labels, a multi-lingual data source for error
messages, page and character encoding, different time and date formats
and the possibility that you have a user from one language group
accessing from a computer that appears to be from another language group
(so, user control of language and geo-targeting configuration).

Cheers
Paul

Paul Minty Director

mintleaf studio
We design & create stylish websites

Post: Box 6 108 Flinders Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Level 2 108 Flinders Street Melbourne
T. 03 9662 9344
F. 03 9662 9255
M. 0418 307 475