It's disturbing how well lemurs can illustrate the issue, too:
http://www.katemonkey.co.uk/article/48/x-ua-lemur-compatible (the Zeldman
lemur cracked me up completely)

That's awesome!

We can opt to save our energy for standards-based browsers and not bother learning new versions of IE. Lazy? Pragmatic? Mercenary?

As others have pointed out, if everyone decides to lock sites into IE7, MS have no incentive to continue down the road of web standards and may in fact, do the opposite and actively promote against it. That could have serious consequences, e.g.:

* MS does one thing and everyone else does another except worse than it is now where MS have at least been trying to come to the party, * MS does its best to tell everyone that hasn't yet bought into web standards that web standards are holding back the web, that their way is better, and end up killing it (web standards).

--
Tyssen Design
http://www.tyssendesign.com.au