Ben Buchanan wrote:
Implementation specifics aside (yes I still think it's spam), the version target feature offers us a chance to lock our sites to the most convenient version of IE. MS has invited us to ignore their newer products. We can opt to save our energy for standards-based browsers and not bother learning new versions of IE. Lazy? Pragmatic?
 Mercenary?

Discuss?  :)  Surely this list has some opinions...

All of the above - depending on the situation at hand.

Being practical, it all comes down to what IE8 is worth - in any mode,
once it's released and thoroughly tested.

- IE6 and IE7 will need their workarounds for a few years, so it's
mostly "business as usual" on the IE/win front even after IE8' arrival.

- If IE8 can do without its own workarounds and isn't disturbed by any
workarounds for its predecessors, then triggering "IE8 mode" doesn't
cost anything. If not, then the "most solid" workarounds have to be
found and tested before seriously leaving the "IE7 forever mode" - if
that mode really works. The way the proposed switch works, we should be
able to relax and not bother looking for IE8 fixes until after IE9, or
IE10, is out - just to see how the browser is shaping up.

- If clients expect and/or demand triggering of a "beyond IE7 mode"
(which they probably won't), then they'll get it once any problems with
it are solved.

Bottom line: I don't like this new switch one bit, but I'm pretty
relaxed on the matter and will trigger a suitable "beyond IE7 mode" if
it serves any purpose - for me.

regards
        Georg

--