In my experience client-side validation works fine with screen readers but
you need to be careful how you present any error messages. It is
increasingly common to see them slid in silently, and this is a big problem
not only for screen reader users but also for magnifier users because they
are both unaware of the change.

I am a big fan of alertboxes for error messages. Sure they're clunky but
they give an audible warning and they seize the focus so the user doesn't
have to go hunting for the error message (assuming they even know that there
is one).

If you are forced to slide the error messages in silently, I recommend doing
so at the top of the page and just above the Submit button. People have
different strategies for figuring out what's going on if a new page does not
load, but the most common are to return to the top of the page or to
navigate backwards up the form. Error messages next to the relevant fields
make it even easier for the user.

You must retain the server-side validation because some people may not have
JavaScript enabled so they will bypass the client-side validation.

Steve