On Mar 28, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

Perhaps if you've never seen or used one, it's hard
to conceptualize, but they exist.

Ouch...

However if the subject is still opening new windows vis a vis the "target" attribute, it seems to me hard to conceptualize a web app that doesn't rely on both client- and server-side scripting.

And returning to the original question:

Why not. I can't imagine it's better practice to replace it with javascript.

I'd think that in a web app it certainly is better practice to use javascript?

What I'm getting from the discussion to this point:
        web *site* - new window bad;
        web *app* - new window sometimes necessary
        target="_blank" - deprecated* and probably bad in any circumstance

No doubt people will continue to hold different opinions as to how to deal with links to non-HTML documents. For myself I've decided the best course is to offer a direct link and leave it to the user to decide whether to open a new window/tab, and I think this is coming to be the majority and "standard" position. Those who hold a different view are free to do so, and act accordingly.

Andrew

*a little bee in my bonnet:
deprecated: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deprecated
depreciated: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/depreciated