It has absolute truth. I work in the biggest state government department in
Australia and we have that exact "minus one" policy, which means never being
at the bleeding edge.

There are tons and tons of in house applications that have (sadly) been
built around the IE6 platform, which would be an absolute disaster for the
department if IE7 was suddenly rolled out. Its not as simple as upgrading
your home PC or your local internet cafe. This is a very similar story to
many other companies and deparments Australia and World Wide.

The recent embarkement by 37 signals to phase out IE6 is not going to spark
anything. They're a small development company and don't have a large
customer base around IE6 and don't have a large influence on the general
population - rather only on the developmental community.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Lewis, Matthew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  as to say look at the theory of developing specifics for IE6. There is a
>> gaining movement around to start phasing out IE6 support - look at
>> 37signals, I think they begin IE6 phase out this week or next. They've done
>> their maths and taken a gamble. Hopefully it'll spark something.
>> [snip...]
>> In the end, do you want to spend hours developing hacks for IE6 or just
>> nicely push people into an upgrade path?
>>

> OT and not much to do with IE6 .png solutions but instead, the ongoing
> support of IE6 aspect of this thread.
>
> I was advised by a lesser Microsoft management bot that many corporate
> organisations have a 'latest minus one' policy, which means only running up
> to the previous version of any current browser. This will hopefully mean
> that when IE8 is fully released many corporate techs will then upgrade to
> IE7, ideally resulting in a bulk upgrade of the costly IE6.
>
> I hope this has some truth.

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Anton Babushkin