Thanks for your thoughts, Jody.

I agree with you for the most part.

I would say, however, that even on the lists on which I participate,
the "Newbie" version of the list still has to have experienced posters
who can guide the newbies.  Without them, the newbies would all be
floundering for lack of guidance.

Also, you're right in saying that a list on a topic doesn't *have* to have
it first mission be to teach.  However, a list as broad in spectrum in dealing
with standards as this list should have teaching as a core purpose, unless it
specifically states
otherwise.

And finally, I participate on other lists that have users with varying degrees
of expertise, so there are many topics that are beyond me or of no interest to
me.
For those, I just skim the topics and delete.  I guess some people do feel duty
bound to
read all topics, but I just hit the ones that I have answers to or have some
interest for me.

If I read them all I'd never get anything done!  :o)

But always, list management is a tricky business and discussions like these are
part of
a growing, vibrant community.  It would be very easy to manage a list where
there were
no participants!

Rick