why would it not work as a directory under the main site tree, i.e.: www.domain.com.au/shop/ .

I think developers are keen on a lightweight, simple to use and deploy and template shopping cart system. ZenCart and osCommmerce are terrible to both set up and use, so lose-lose IMHO.

Surely a simple shopping cart that is relatively genertic isn't THAT complicated to do?

Joe

On Aug 13, 2008, at 10:34, Adam Martin wrote:

I am a pretty active magento developer and highly recommend it as well.. but it really only suits those clients whose whole site is an ecommerce solution. For example, take a look at a client of mine - julesroc.com.au

I am working on a custom solution that allows ecommerce to be a part of a clients website. So the first question I would be asking is what are the needs of the client. A complete ecommerce solution or an ecommerce component within their site.

Cheers
Adam
magento user: tweakmag
----- Original Message -----
From: 8bits Media
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Shopping cart - who does what

I think it would be worth your while to go and check out Magento -
http://www.magentocommerce.com/

The makers of this product have done a great job of making it standards compliant, as well as very usable. We're in the process of integrating it into a new project.

Regards,

Nick
8bits Media

On 13 Aug 2008, at 16:39, Lynette Smith wrote:

> Do the free [shopping carts] (such as ZenCart and OsCommerce) do an adequate job ?

My friend populated the shop at the time because he was savvy with Photoshop and could do all the image work himself. But you could as well end up doing that too if your client hasn't that knowledge.
That's what I am afraid of.

I think you should weigh your time vs. the fee your colleague charges. You might want to learn ZenCart or another eCommerce solution so you can do it in the future.
Thanks, Jens - will re-think if a cart is really necessary.

Kind regards

Lyn

Joe Ortenzi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]