Hi Christian,
> Just clear up my understanding, folks; is Internet Explorer accessible
> because Microsoft builds the accessibility features

The short answer is yes

Details of the accessibility of internet Explorer can be found in the
VPAT (voluntary product accessibility template) supplied by Microsoft:
(http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/2/3/c23bc250-5f80-4d0c-a29d-877355ff91e8/IE7_VPAT%20version%201%200.doc)
- word doc and the VPAT for Firefox 3 is available here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/vpat-3.html

 I have reproduced the relevant VPAT info for Internet Explorer 7 below:

Section 1194.21 Software Applications and Operating Systems - Detail
Voluntary Product Accessibility Template

(a) When software is designed to run on a system that has a keyboard,
product functions shall be executable from a keyboard where the
function itself or the result of performing a function can be
discerned textually.

Supported with Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 supports all standard keyboard features of
the user interface.

Windows Internet Explorer 7 provides Help functionality that includes
easily accessible reference guides for keyboard shortcuts.

In addition, documentation on Keyboard Shortcut keys are available
online:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/fe192a3f-1401-4233-919e-cae97eca4c0c1033.mspx

More documents on this subject can be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/keyboard.aspx

Windows Internet Explorer 7 provides a new user interface; keyboard
users can use the Alt key to activate the classical menu.

Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 browser arbitrary text content cannot be
selected by the keyboard. Text can be selected by using a mouse or
other pointing device.

Windows Internet Explorer 7 supports all standard keyboard operation
of the user interface. Java and in-page plug-ins for content such as
Flash cannot be used with the keyboard so they must not be installed
for keyboard-only users. The tab order skips over in-page objects
completely, so form controls within them cannot be used without a
mouse.

(b) Applications shall not disrupt or disable activated features of
other products that are identified as accessibility features, where
those features are developed and documented according to industry
standards. Applications also shall not disrupt or disable activated
features of any operating system that are identified as accessibility
features where the application programming interface for those
accessibility features has been documented by the manufacturer of the
operating system and is available to the product developer.

Supported with Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 supports system StickyKeys, FilterKeys,
MouseKeys, SerialKeys and ToggleKeys.

Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 does not use the cursor width from the
system setting.

(c) A well-defined on-screen indication of the current focus shall be
provided that moves among interactive interface elements as the input
focus changes. The focus shall be programmatically exposed so that
Assistive Technology can track focus and focus changes.

Supported with Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 uses programming interfaces to expose the
location of the focus indicator and Microsoft Active Accessibility(R)
to expose its interface elements to assistive technologies.

Microsoft Active Accessibility is a COM-based technology that improves
the way accessibility aids work with applications running on the
Microsoft Windows operating systems. It provides dynamic-link
libraries that are incorporated into the operating system, as well as
a COM interface and application programming elements that provide
reliable methods for exposing information about user interface
elements.

Exceptions:

The caret indication is neither visible nor programmatically exposed
in read-only fields.

(d) Sufficient information about a user interface element including
the identity, operation and state of the element shall be available to
Assistive Technology. When an image represents a program element, the
information conveyed by the image must also be available in text.

Supported:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 user interface elements are exposed
programmatically through native object models and programming
interfaces such as Microsoft Active Accessibility. Standard Windows
controls and interface elements automatically expose this information
through Microsoft Active Accessibility. Labels are associated with
controls, objects, icons and images in Internet Explorer user
interface.

(e) When bitmap images are used to identify controls, status
indicators, or other programmatic elements, the meaning assigned to
those images shall be consistent throughout an application's
performance.

Supported:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 utilizes standard and consistent images throughout.

(f) Textual information shall be provided through operating system
functions for displaying text. The minimum information that shall be
made available is text content, text input caret location, and text
attributes.

Supported with Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 provides textual information through
Microsoft Active Accessibility.

Microsoft Active Accessibility is a COM-based technology that improves
the way accessibility aids work with applications running on Microsoft
Windows operating systems. It provides dynamic-link libraries that are
incorporated into the operating system, as well as a COM interface and
application programming elements that provide reliable methods for
exposing information about user interface elements.

Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 does not provide free cursor navigation
within the web content. However, standard text navigation and
selection are supported in the INPUT element of the TEXT, TEXTAREA,
FILE, and PASSWORD types.

(g) Applications shall not override user selected contrast and color
selections and other individual display attributes.

Supported with Exceptions:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 not only respects the user's settings, but
also allows the user to override the display settings of web-page
authors who have used inaccessible font colors and sizes.

Exceptions:

The Internet Explorer 7 setup screen does not obey the system font
size. Once installation is complete this is no longer an issue for end
users.

(h) When animation is displayed, the information shall be displayable
in at least one non-animated presentation mode at the option of the
user.

Supported:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 provides user the option to turn on/off
animation in images in web content via Internet Options >> Advanced >>
Multimedia >> Play animation in web pages.

(i) Color coding shall not be used as the only means of conveying
information, indicating an action, prompting a response, or
distinguishing a visual element.

Supported:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 does not use colors as the only way to
convey information, indicate an action, prompt a response, or
distinguish a visual element. For instance, the golden bar alert
clearly conveys the message in text in addition to its color.

(j) When a product permits a user to adjust color and contrast
settings, a variety of color selections capable of producing a range
of contrast levels shall be provided.

Supported:

In Windows Internet Explorer 7, users can customize the link color,
which then may be used by other applications as well. In addition,
users can create cascading style sheets that can predefine the look
and feel of their pages.

(k) Software shall not use flashing or blinking text, objects, or
other elements having a flash or blink frequency greater than 2 Hz and
lower than 55 Hz.

Supported:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 does not use flashing or blinking text in
its user interface.

Windows Internet Explorer 7 has a security feature that blinks the
border of an overlapping popup window. This behavior is presented on
the web content when there is any security concern. The blink
frequency is greater than 2 Hz and lower than 55 Hz.

(l) When electronic forms are used, the form shall allow people using
Assistive Technology to access the information, field elements, and
functionality required for completion and submission of the form,
including all directions and cues.

Supported:

Windows Internet Explorer 7 allows access via assistive technology to

2008/9/5 Christian Montoya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Keryx Web <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Adam Martin skrev:
>>>
>>> Hey guys... it is great that talk about accessibility and chrome has been
>>> raised - but I do think that we need to wait until it is out of beta.
>>
>> A beta is supposed to be feature complete. otherwoise it's an alpha.
>>

> Just clear up my understanding, folks; is Internet Explorer accessible
> because Microsoft builds the accessibility features, or because a
> third-party software vendor builds the features? I know Microsoft has
> been very good about building a number of user-friendly features into
> Windows, like the on-screen keyboard and OS-level magnifying tool, but
> I thought that all the screen readers and similar assistive devices
> were developed by third parties.
>
> If Google Chrome is really open source, then it seems that the same
> could be done for it, with a lot less expense than designing assistive
> software/devices for a proprietary browser.
>
> --
> --
> Christian Montoya
> christianmontoya.net