May be a better approach would be to use a script that lets the user "turn
accesskeys on".

If you are talking about any kind of client side scripting, such as javascript that is a big no-no ... as very few phones are likely to support it!

yes the iPhone can do javascript and to a limited extent Opera Lite (as in running on their server rather than on the phone iteself)... but is there much else? ... those would probably currently account for only a very tiny fraction of real-world mobile traffic.

... and can I trust EVERY phone browser to completely ignore scripting that it doesn't support? ...without the resources to test on a wide variety of phones I take the route of caution - though I can see myself probably having to install WURFL eventually (a database of known phone models and their capabilities - browser sniffing taken to the extreme!)